Why not get started on the Virginia real estate license, licensing process today? On this page we have covered all of the Virginia pre-license and continuing education requirements that need to be met before you can get your real estate license. You will also find plenty of other resources and Virginia’s reciprocal licensing information for those of not currently residing in the state.
If you still have any questions or concerns after reading the information below, please take a moment to contact our staff, we are always happy to help!
Virginia Real Estate Pre-License Requirements
The following list is of the current requirements that need to be met before a real estate license shall be issued to any individual.
- All applicants must be eighteen years of age or older at the time of application.
- All applicants must have a high school diploma or equivalent.
- Applicants must disclose any prior felony or misdemeanor convictions in accordance with the Virginia law.
- Applicants must not have had their real estate license suspended or revoked in any jurisdiction prior to applying for a license in the State of Virginia.
- All applicants must complete a minimum of sixty hours in the principles of real estate.
- Applicants must pass the State and National portions of the real estate exam.
Virginia Real Estate Continuing Education Requirements
Effective as of 2008, all licensed real estate agents will be required to successfully complete a course or courses of not less than a total of sixteen classroom, correspondence, or other distance learning instruction hours during each licensing term.
If this is your first time renewing your license, you will be required to complete thirty clock hours of post-license real estate education regardless of whether your license is active or inactive.
Virginia Real Estate License Reciprocity Agreements
Agents with an active license and thirty-six months of active work in the real estate field or the educational equivalent, may be eligible for a reciprocal license in Virginia. Your current licensing state must have similar/equivalent educational requirements as those above.
Please contact the State of Virginia, Department of Real Estate to find out if your state qualifies under the current reciprocity agreements.